Fire Safety Tips
August 1 @ 8:00 am - August 31 @ 5:00 pm
- Sit down as a family and discuss your plan in case of a fire in the home. Arrange a specific meeting point at a safe distance away from the house to go to, possibly a neighbor’s home. Always get out of the house before calling 911. Have a family fire drill twice every year to make sure everyone knows their role and to improve the execution of the plan.
- If you need to call 911, try to be calm and clear with the information you provide to the operator.
- Purchase an emergency ladder for homes with upper floors to allow you to escape the home when going downstairs is not possible.
- In case of a home fire, remember to stay low, below the smoke. Always check doors for heat before opening the door, and be cautious of hot doorknobs that may burn your hands.
- Never return to a burning building to retrieve personal items. Personal items, regardless of value, can always be replaced. Your safety is of the most importance.
- If your clothes happen to catch fire, remember… Stop, Drop and Roll to extinguish the flames. If you are helping someone whose clothes have caught fire, you can smother the flames with a heavy blanket or other heavy fabric.
- Never use water on a grease fire! Since grease and water do not mix, the water will only spread the flames. Always use baking soda. If the flames are contained inside of a frying pan or cooking pot, you may be able to extinguish the flames by placing a lid on the pan.
- Always stay near stove and outdoor grills while cooking. Make sure flammable items are kept 3 feet away from the stove or grill. Also, roll up long sleeves and wear oven gloves while cooking. Outdoor grills should be used at least 10 feet away from the home and other objects, such as bushes and shrubs.
- Always have an adult present for bonfires or campfires, and never leave a fire unobserved. Make sure flamable items are kept 3 feet away from the bonfire/campfire. Outdoor fire pits/rings should be used at least 10 feet away from the home and other objects, such as bushes and shrubs.
- Keep a fire extinguisher in the home for other small fires in the home, such as appliances. Have the fire extinguisher tested every year to assure you are protected.
- If you use a space heater in your home or garage, make sure it is kept at least 3 feet away from walls, furniture or other items which may burn. Turn off the heater when you leave the room.
- Have your fireplace, chimney, wood or coal burning stoves and central furnaces checked by a professional every year and cleaned when necessary.
- Make sure an adult is in the room when candles are lit, and always use stable candle holders made of non-flamable materials such as metal or glass. Make sure the candle is not placed below a flamable surface, such as on a kitchen counter under a cabinet or cupboard or a lamp on a table. The rising heat can ignite wood, cloth and other objects. When leaving the room, extinguish the candles.
- Store matches and lighters away from heat sources, and always away from children. Storing them in a locking drawer or cabinet is recommended.
- In the garage, always store gasoline cans and other flamable items away from heat sources such as heaters or even lights. Gas vapors can ignite from even a small spark! The same care should also be used for rags or cloths which may have gasoline or flamable liquids on them. If possible, store all of these items in an outdoor shed, away from the home.
- Only store gasoline in specified storage containers meant for gasoline. Never store gasoline inside the home!
- Only use gasoline as fuel for engines. Never use gasoline to start fires for grilling, bonfires or burning leaves and yard waste.